As most of you know, from October 2006 until August 2008, I had the pleasure to work for BYU's Education in Zion Exhibit, an exhibit that seeks to tell the story of the Church's long educational tradition. That experience shaped--and continues to shape--my life in several different ways. When I first got the position, it was the cure to constant frustration and an answer to sincere prayers for employment. After all, since history degrees are a little like aces (they are only useful if you have two or more), what does one really do with a history degree? When I got that job, however, I had no clue how profoundly it would change my life.
Education in Zion did far more than just give me a thesis topic and provide me with a crash course in actual historical research. It brought me into contact with some of the finest scholars and best friends I have ever had. It's hard to describe just what working at the exhibit was like, other than to say that it was a little piece of Zion. I believe this was the result of both the nature of the topic we were studying and the spirituality and the Christlike attitude of our director, Brother C. Terry Warner. At every meeting, I felt like I was valued, which caused me to want to work harder so that I would have something to bring to the table. In of the fact that Terry is a world renowned scholar and one of the most brilliant men that I have ever met, he treated us all as colleagues rather than student employees and cheap labor.
It would be impossible for me to detail all of the things that I learned from working for Education in Zion, but this past week I've been thinking about one particularly important lesson. Although most of the School of the Prophets research had been conducted long before I arrived at Education in Zion, I still had several opportunities to learn more about that unique institution. In the process, I began to understand a little about the Lord's message to the Saints in 1832, when He said, "Appoint among yourselves a teacher, and let not all be spokesmen at once; but let one speak at a time and let all
listen unto his sayings, that when all have spoken that all may be edified of all, and that every man may have an equal privilege" (D&C 88:122).
I suppose the reason I have been thinking so much about this verse lately is because it runs so contrary to the way of the world. In my graduate school seminars, I find that I feel a constant need to prove to everyone in the room that I belong there. On the surface, I think that I am trying to add to the lecture and make a difference in the seminar. But underneath the surface, my real intent remains self-centered. Unresolved, such self-centered attitudes creep into every aspect of our lives. For instance, this past Thursday at Institute and again today at Church, I found myself making comments in my classes in much the same way that I do in my seminars. Rather than seeking to make comments that had the purpose of edifying others around me and building up the Kingdom of God, I was trying to make comments that made myself sound smart.
After one such comment, a thought took my mind back to Education in Zion and back to the School of the Prophets. I instantly remembered how Terry had treated me. Because he had valued us all equally, Education in Zion had become a work of collaboration rather than competition. As a result, I felt like we all grew together. There was no need to try to show off because we all needed one another in order to make the project a success. Terry had put into practical application the principle that the Lord had given to lay the foundation of the School of the Prophets and ultimately to lay the foundation of Zion.
Today was a clear reminder of these vital principles to me. We are not here to try and make ourselves look or sound smarter than anyone else. We are here to uplift, to build, and to edify our brothers and sisters, and in so doing, to build up God's Kingdom.
Brett
It is definitely tough to navigate that fine line, Brett. I remember being terrified in some of my graduate seminars. When the "smarty-pants" would start prattling on about"Derridian interpretations of Faulkner, Melville, and Poe," I would cringe, sure that I wasn't smart enough to be part of the group. On occasion, I even found myself holding back from commenting in class because of that fear, and I'm sure I missed many great opportunities to share my feelings and insights with my peers and professors.
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing how the adversary can use both fear and pride to pull us in different directions, to keep us from being our true selves. You are fortunate to have recognized this early-on in your PhD work! Many people don't and, as a result, graduate seminars seem to turn into a contest of "who can use the biggest words and sound the smartest."
Never doubt that you are worthy of being in that program. You are a humble, willing scholar and you have such sincere insights into everything. TCU recognizes this too. Remember that they wanted you, BDD, to be part of their program for a reason. This semester is just the first step of many on your road to greater learning and success!!
Love you!
Thanks Steph!
ReplyDeleteThanks for this great and honest insight. It reminds me of Terry's talk Honest, Simple, Solid, True. I feel this way with my art a lot lately. I've been trying so hard to prove myself and in turn it's made me feel critical and competative. Satan is so good at taking something good and tempting us to turn it into something negative. I needed to hear that today. Thank you Brett:) Just remember, you are amazing and smart and talented, that will shine through far more clearly if you just be you. I'm gonna go ahead and remind myself of that today too:) Love you!
ReplyDeleteI thought about that talk while writing this post. Here is a link to it for anyone who hasn't read it: http://speeches.byu.edu/?act=viewitem&id=441
ReplyDeleteCool! I have such a great deal of respect for Terry -- Bro. Warner, I should say. Can't wait to re-read that talk.
ReplyDeleteI second Lynley and Stephanie--you were accepted into your program for a reason, and you fully deserved to be. You are one of the brightest, most intelligent people I know and I have no doubt that you are going to do great things with your education!
ReplyDeleteI learned so much at Education in Zion. You phrased it just perfectly; it truly was a little piece of Zion for me as well. I remember when I met Terry my first week on the project; he introduced himself simply as "Terry", and it took me a few days to realize that he was the exhibit director and even longer to recognize that he was the Terry Warner I had heard people talking about. Terry's unassuming manner and sincere appreciation of all of us and our contributions, no matter how insignificant, taught me volumes about leading and teaching in a Christ-like manner.
Thanks Julianne!
ReplyDeleteI was searching the BYU speeches site for Terry's address and came across a cool link where you can listen to BYU speeches (classic and new) via podcast. Thought you might be interested: http://speeches.byu.edu/?act=help&page=podcast
ReplyDeleteNow that's a cool use (ok, another cool use) for iTunes!