Sunday, November 27, 2011

Georgia On My Mind

This past week, I had the amazing opportunity of spending Thanksgiving with my sister Stephanie and my brother-in-law John.  While I was there, they kindly showed me around Georgia.  I though I might depart from my usual fair, and just give a short synopsis of my trip and share a few pictures that Steph was kind enough to take.

On Wednesday I got into Atlanta where Steph came to pick me up.  It was so good to see her and John.  It was the first time that I had seen Steph since my brother Rob's wedding in June, and it was the first time I had seen John since he came to Dallas on a short business trip about a month ago.  There is always something unique that happens when you see a family member that you haven't seen for a long time.  It's a really special feeling.  Not to be morbid, but my guess is that it is similar to the feeling that our departed loved ones have when they step through the veil at the end of mortality and find family and friends there to greet them and welcome them back.  It is always a pain to be away from family and friends, but that time of separation makes those reunions so much more wonderful!  

On Thursday Steph and John showed me around some of the beautiful neighborhoods of Peachtree City, Georgia before we enjoyed a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner together.  The homes out there are incredibly beautiful and have a classic look to them that we don't always get elsewhere.  After dinner, we Skyped with the family in Utah, which was a lot of fun.  There was a little bit of a delay, but it was great to be able to see our family in Utah and to be connected for Thanksgiving.  I've often thought that miracles like Skype are part of what Moroni had in mind when he chastized us for believing that the day of miracles was past.  We are the beneficiaries of so many of God's miracles, but we often times foolishly think that we are solely responsible for them.  

On Friday Steph and I went drove up to the Chicamauga Battlefield, near Chattanooga, Tennessee, while John had to work.  It's a beautiful battlefield up in the hills and mountains of northern Georgia.  The area is so peaceful and quiet, that it is difficult to imagine such a horrific event having taken place there.  Sometimes it is easy for me to forget that the peace and comfort that I now enjoy came at a great personal cost to those who came before me.  Places like this serve as a good reminder.

Steph at Chicamauga Battlefield
Me at Chicamauga Battlefield
A view of part of the Chicamauga Battlefield
Another one of me at Chicamauga

A monument (probably for some division from Indiana) at Chicamauga

On Saturday, Steph and John and I went down to Fort Benning, Georgia, to visit the National Infantry Museum.  Much like the visit to Chicamauga, this was a sobering experience.  The museum is an impressive display of artifacts and other items detailing the role of the infantry in American history.  Having had a hand in a public history exhibit, I know a little about how much work goes into creating an exhibition.  So I was surprised when I saw just how large and extensive the exhibition at the museum was.  I would not be surprised if it had taken more than a decade to plan, research, and create this amazing exhibit.  It was a fitting and sobering tribute to those who have given their lives for the country.  I was particularly moved by a small exhibit in the middle of the museum with the names and pictures of the Medal of Honor recipients throughout American history.  With the exception of the Civil War, my history interests have generally led me to study other areas of American history, but I was moved with gratitude as I contemplated the sacrifices and efforts of our military in my behalf.  I was particularly grateful to be there with John, who as a major in the Army knew a lot more of the history about the country's wars than I could ever hope to know.  It was wonderful to have him there to explain things to me, as well as to be a living reminder of the hundreds of thousands of men and women who daily serve this country in the armed forces.

Me at the National Infantry Museum in Fort Benning, Georgia

"Follow Me" Statue outside the National Infantry Museum
And, as Friday marked the beginning of the Christmas season, I had a wonderful little chat with one of Santa's reindeer:



All in all, it was a wonderful trip, and reminded me of the many things I have to be grateful for.  First and foremost, I am thankful for the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.  I cannot even contemplate life without it.  I am grateful for my family.  They are a constant source of strength and motivation in my life.  I am grateful for my friends.  Life in Texas has been made easier because of your many kindnesses and notes and texts of encouragement.  And I am grateful for this country.  It isn't perfect, and we have many areas where we can learn from others and improve, but I thank my Heavenly Father that I am from a land that has provided me with more freedoms and opportunities than I could possibly imagine.  Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

Brett

4 comments:

  1. It was SO great having you out here for a few days, Brett. It was a very strange feeling to be up and doing things around the house this morning instead of driving over to pick you up.

    I love seeing some of the pictures we took while you were here. How fun to have those shared memories!

    Thank you so much for coming to visit. We can't wait to see you and the rest of the family at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you were able to visit Steph and John on Thanksgiving! We missed you all very much, but it helped knowing that you were together back there. It looks like you had a great time in GA! Can't wait to see everyone at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for posting these pictures and filling us in on your trip to Georgia! I really enjoyed seeing a glimpse of Peach Tree and the pictures of you and steph! Looks like you had a really fun time and got to see some neat exhibits! Looking forward to seeing you all in a couple weeks! Hang in there with your last couple weeks of classes!! You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a great trip! I'm so glad you got the opportunity to go visit Steph and John as well as see some historical sites.

    ReplyDelete