Sunday, November 4, 2012

"The Better Angels of Our Nature"

This has been a wonderful week.  For the first time since August, I was blessed to have a visit from family, as my sister Stephanie came into town for a conference.  I got to see her presentation, which was wonderful and insightful.  But more importantly, I got a chance to spend some time with her between Thursday when I picked her up at the airport and this morning when I dropped her back off at the airport.  It is always such a blessing to have some time with family when you have been away from home.  I was reminded once again just how blessed and lucky I am to have such a wonderful family.

Howard Chandler Christy, "Scene at the Signing of the Constitution of the United States," 1940
I know that most of you, like me, have probably had enough of this election and are just ready for it to be finished.  Without fail, I get to this point every election season because I have usually made up my mind who I will be voting for by early September, meaning that I am the recipient of two months of absolute torture after my mind has been made up.  But in spite of my yearnings to have all of the polls and ads disappear, I do think that this is an important election, and yes, even the most important election of my life.  (Before you quit reading, please know that this isn't a post endorsing one candidate or another).

Let me explain.  I believe that this is the most important election of my life because it is the current election.  Our lives will not be influenced nearly as much by the elections of 2004 or 1992 or 1968 nearly so much as they will be affected by this current election.  Whatever have been the results of the past, they do not change our opportunities to create for ourselves a better and brighter future, and a freer and more just America.  Further, this Tuesday represents our opportunity to keep the principles of the American republic alive.  If we become apathetic and stop voting, we lose our opportunity to influence and shape this wonderful country.  By that act of voting (for whichever candidates we determine to be most meritorious), we declare our willingness to remain involved and to dedicate our service to our nation and our communities.  In this sense, it is an act akin to raising our right arm to sustain the leaders of the Church.

But even as raising our arm to sustain President Monson is not enough to qualify us as disciples of Jesus Christ, so casting our vote in an election booth and doing nothing more will not satisfy the demands of citizenship.  Accepting whatever results may come from the election, we must then put our hands to the plow and go about the work of improving our cities and building a better America.  Nothing concerns me more than the idea that the country's political divisions have become so great that a party must have complete control of Congress and the White House, or the president must issue executive mandates, in order to get anything done.  Compromise and cooperation were two of the most important principles upon which this nation was founded.  And those same principles must continue to define us today.

No matter the results of Tuesday's election--whether your candidates of choice prevail or lose--we must pledge our hands and hearts to the work of making this nation better.

In the dark days following the secession crisis of 1860-61 and immediately preceding the outbreak of the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln pled with the nation in his inaugural address, "I am loath to close.  We are not enemies, but friends.  We must not be enemies.  Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.  The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battle-field, and patriot grave, to every living heart and hearthstone, all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature" (Abraham Lincoln, Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln, 4:263).

Long ago, my Mom and Dad taught me that it is not enough just to be gracious and happy when things go the way I wanted them to.  No matter the outcome of the election, may we all be "touched...by the better angels of our nature."

Brett

1 comment:

  1. It was fantastic to spend time with you this past weekend, Brett. I love that I know have a visual picture in my head of where you are when we're talking. TCU is a gorgeous campus and it was so cool to see you in your element. I'll miss getting together with you for dinner every night, but that will make the next time we see each other all the more fun!

    -----

    What a great post this is! Like you, I get overwhelmed and just tired of all of the campaigning -- from every political camp. It saddens me to think that the very basic rules of rhetoric I try to teach my composition students -- listen to other people's opinions, don't rush to judgement, consider your options and be willing to admit others might have good and ethical ideas -- seem all too often to fall by the proverbial wayside in "professional" campaigns.

    All of the backbiting and mud-slinging are enough to make me want to quit listening (and indeed I probably do tune out a fair amount of the noise), but I do try to remind myself that I need to practice what I preach -- I meant teach! ;)

    As the 12th Article of Faith says, "We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law." To me, this means that while I may not always agree with the present administration (at whatever level of government), I do still need to be an honorable citizen and do my part where and when I can. If I do not attempt to contribute to a society, why should I allow myself the indulgence of complaining when things don't go "my way"?

    I think the same goes true for our lives in the Gospel. We may not always like or understand the people we work with, but we need to try and show compassion and love. Finding that "common ground" can be a challenge, but if we are willing to put forth a sincere effort, I think the Lord will be willing to help us along the rest of the way.

    Thanks for these great reminders that there is, indeed, much we can do to make our lives -- and the lives of those around us -- better.

    Love you lots!!

    ReplyDelete