![]() |
| Ephraim Hanks, by Clark Kelley Price |
This last Sunday was my first Sunday in the family ward. I must admit that the sound of children crying was startling. Even more startling, however, was the feeling of being alone in a place where I was supposed to feel like I was at home. This was the first time in my life that I have gone to a Church meeting where I didn't know anyone else. All throughout my life I have had at least one person that I knew in the Ward I was attending. Even if I didn't know anyone else, I knew that one person. Last Sunday I was on my own. And as the single man sitting by myself, I must confess that for the first hour and a half of Church I did feel like "a stranger and foreigner" (Ephesians 2:19).
This was a unique experience for me because for the first time I can remember, I understood a little bit of what it must be like for investigators and new converts to come into the Church. Being alone in a new place where everyone else seems to know each other is an uncomfortable feeling. Of course I should probably have gone and introduced myself to random people and started making friends on my own, but anyone who knows me knows that that isn't really a strong aspect of my personality. In new places I tend to be quiet and introverted rather than outgoing and social.
Half-way through Sunday School, something interesting happened. A guy named Mark came and sat down next to me and introduced himself. We talked about my studies and a few other things and then he proceeded to introduce me to a few people around me. And suddenly I felt what I've been accustomed to feeling all my years in the Church: a sense of belonging, a sense of being at home. It was a small act, but it made a world of difference to me. In that small way, Mark was reenacting a scene that has been played out thousands of times--probably millions of times--throughout the history of the Church: he was rescuing a struggling Saint that he didn't really know.
On October 5, 1856, as Brigham Young stood before the congregation at October Conference, his message was simple: "Many of our brethren and sisters are on the Plains with hand-carts, and probably many are now seven hundred miles from this place, and they must be brought here, we must send assistance to them. The text [of my sermon] will be to get them here!...That is my religion; that is the dictation of the Holy Ghost that I possess, it is to save the people. We must bring them in from the Plains, and when we get them here, we will try to keep the same spirit that we have had, and teach them the way of life and salvation; tell them how they can be saved, and how they can save their friends" (Brigham Young, October 5, 1856, Complete Discourses of Brigham Young, 2:1177). When Brigham gave this discourse, it is likely that few if any in that congregation had ever met a single member of the Martin and Willie Companies that they were being asked to sacrifice and risk their lives for. All they knew was that those on the plains were members of the Church and were therefore brothers and sisters in the Gospel. They were family.
Our text has never changed from that uttered by Brigham that October day. We are to reach out and we are to lift up. And often that takes little more than an effort to sit down next to a stranger and welcome him or her as a new friend. In doing this we remember the words of Paul: "Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone" (Ephesians 2:19-20). They share with us a witness of the Gospel, a witness of the truthfulness of the Restoration, a witness of the divinity and saving power of Jesus Christ. With a little effort, we can bring them in as fellowcitizens and members of the household of God.
Brett

Thanks for the wonderful post Brett! What a good reminder to look for small and simple ways we can serve those around us. We don't often realize the impact of our small acts of kindness, but your story really demonstrates the blessing we can be to others. I'm grateful someone was there to reach out and welcome you! What a good reminder to be someone who is quick to observe those around them! I hope your new ward continues to feel more and more like home.
ReplyDeleteThat transition to a family ward is a strange one for sure. I am so glad that someone was there to reach out and help make it a little easier and more comfortable for you.
ReplyDeleteI think we've all been in wards where the environment was more clique-ish, making it easy to feel like that proverbial "pilgrim and stranger." I am SO glad that Mark was there to welcome you, Brett. What a blessing to you -- and to him. That is how the Church should work, at least in my view of things.
I love your reminder and LJ's too that we can all try a little harder to act as the rescuer, to bring people in "from the plains" to safety. That is a goal I've set for myself and I appreciate the sweet reminders you've given here.
Have a happy week and keep doing the fabulous work I know you're doing!!
Thanks Lynley and Steph! I think the thing that stood out to me is the fact that I am not normally that person reaching out to someone else. So I need to do a better job of being the person who goes up to someone and welcomes them.
ReplyDeleteYou and John are very much alike there, Brett. It's easier for him to be outgoing at work, but in other situations, it's much tougher. Just remember that you have so much to offer -- a brilliant mind, compassionate heart and strong testimony. I'm certain that you'll bless many lives! :)
ReplyDelete