| "The Consecration of Joshua," Arnold Friberg |
This week I was reminded of the story of Joshua, a story that we perhaps don't discuss enough in the Church. If ever a person (excepting the Lord) was put into an unenviable position, it was Joshua. Succeeding Moses could not have been easy and the Lord knew that. He reassured Joshua, "as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. Be strong and of a good courage....Only be thou strong and very courageous....Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee withersoever thou goest" (Joshua 1:5-7, 9). The number of times that the Lord urged Joshua to be strong and courageous surely showed just how difficult a situation Joshua had been placed in. He was to take over for one of the greatest prophets who would ever serve and testify of the Lord. The weight of this duty would require every ounce of strength and courage that Joshua could muster, but he had the promise that the Lord would be with him to guide him and strengthen him in his duties.
Joshua magnified his calling to the best of his abilities and established Israel firmly in the land that the Lord had promised them, leading them by the power of revelation and by faith in the Lord's power to make good on His promises to them. At the end of his life, after the dramatic events of crossing Jordan and watching the walls of Jericho tumble, Joshua had but one piece of counsel for the children of Israel: "Now therefore fear the Lord, and serve him in sincerity and in truth: and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt; and serve ye the Lord. And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" (Joshua 24:14-15). Joshua wanted the people to serve the Lord sincerely and to stop giving their allegiance to the false gods that had captured their worship in earlier days.
Serving the Lord in sincerity and truth is our aim and our desire. And no matter what anyone else does or says, we can serve the Lord. The beauty of true worship is that it is an individual choice. Of course it is always easier when we feel the strength of combined worship, unity, and fellowship. Of course it is easier when we feel like we fit in and we are comfortable. But if for a small moment we must worship without that usual feeling of comfort, we can and should still do so. In the end, our worship is a reflection of how we feel about the Lord, not about how comfortable we feel in the ward we are attending.
I've discovered another thing. There are people there who are reaching out to me and welcoming me if I am willing to accept their friendship. More often than not my feelings of discomfort have more to do with my inability to give others the benefit of the doubt and to see their warmth and friendship than with their unwillingness to befriend and fellowship me. Worshipping the Lord entails learning how to see others the way that He sees them and accept their goodness the way that He accepts them.
I am grateful for the way that He has been teaching me through this experience. I have much to learn as I strive to become a true disciple and worship Him in sincerity and truth. But as a first step, I can determine with Joshua, "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
Brett

Oh how well I relate to your description of spring break as a grad student. FYI -- it's pretty much the same when you're on the professor side of things too. :)
ReplyDeleteI can also relate to the thoughts you expressed in the rest of your blog entry. Changing wards -- especially that great and strange leap from a YSA ward to a family ward -- can be both awkward and even disheartening at times. I think instinct directs us to go inward and not reach out to the family folks around us. Still, you are both wise and correct in saying that sometimes we need to force ourselves to step outside of our safety zone and risk newness in order to create new friendships.
No matter what our comfort level, just as the Lord was with Joshua, so He will be with us to. He goes before us and behind us; He is on our right hand and our left. He who knows when the smallest sparrow falls also knows when we are struggling and in need of peace and comfort.
In times of loneliness and uncertainty, I always draw comfort from the words to the hymn "Be Still My Soul." If we can at least try "with patience" to "bear our cross of grief or pain," He will be there to help.
With the Easter season quickly approaching, how I appreciate this timely and tender reminder of the grace and goodness of my Saviour. How grateful I am for my testimony of Him. I know He lives and loves me too!
Thanks Steph! At least I know that Spring Break doesn't actually improve when I am a professor! I appreciate your comments about faith in difficult moments. I think that is something we all need and can all benefit from!
Delete