Sunday, April 28, 2013

Planning for Success and Building for the Long Term

This has been an exciting week.  I am down to two more class periods, a few short pages to write, and some revisions to make before I am done with this semester.  It has been a long semester, but it has been a good one and it is exciting to contemplate coming to the end of it and being able to move forward with my comprehensive exams in the Fall and then the dissertation.  The big news of this week, however, was the birth of my new nephew Maxwell Andrew Johnson.  I can't wait to meet him in a week and a half.  With a name like Maxwell, perhaps he will become a writer.

 I'm still trying to think which of Elder Maxwell's books best welcomes a baby boy into the world.  More importantly, I hope and pray that he follows the sterling example of his namesake who was among this world's most humble disciples of the Master.  I still remember standing in the line at my Nana Haycock's viewing--a much smaller affair than my Papa's Haycock's was--and having Elder and Sister Maxwell come in to pay their respects.  At the time I was nearly 19 years old and had received my mission call to Arkansas.  The moment left a lasting impression on me because of the way that he introduced himself to me.  He put out his hand, smiled, and said, "Neal and Colleen Maxwell.  We were friends of your grandmother."  No titles.  No presumption.  No arrogance.  No expectation of special treatment.  He was there to pay his respects to my Nana, not to be a Mormon celebrity.  That moment has never quite left me, not just because it was a time when I was privileged to meet one of the Apostles of the Lord, but because of the humility and kindness he displayed in that simple exchange.  Later when I read his biography, I learned that the Brethren had asked him to refrain from shaking hands with people because the dangers of infection were so high due to his Leukemia.  But in this moment when he had come to pay respects to a departed friend, he ignored that counsel and shook my hand.  It is these kind of attributes I hope little Max will develop.

Lake Atitlan, Guatemala, which some have argued was the Waters of Mormon
During my scripture study this week, I came across a few passages in Mosiah 23 that I found insightful.  The chapter begins by mentioning that Alma and his people had "been warned of the Lord that the armies of king Noah would come upon them" (Mosiah 23:1) and that they needed to leave the Waters of Mormon.  This must have been a difficult thing.  These people had already left their homes once to join Alma and now they were being asked to leave again.  And the place that they were leaving held a special place in their hearts.  It was a beautiful "fountain of pure water" (Mosiah 18:5) and more than that, it was the place where they had entered into covenants with the Lord.  One verse captured this significance beautifully:  "And now it came to pass that all this was done in Mormon, yea, by the waters of Mormon, in the forest that was near the waters of Mormon; yea, the place of Mormon, the waters of Mormon, the forest of Mormon, how beautiful are they to the eyes of them who there came to the knowledge of their Redeemer" (Mosiah 18:30).

What a difficult move this must have been!  I know what it is like to leave a place that I love, and it is very difficult.  Some places are just special because of the people you were with and the experiences you had there.  But Alma's record goes on to say that after eight days of journeying, "they came to a land, yea, even a very beautiful and pleasant land, a land of pure water."  The waters of Mormon were not the only beautiful place out there!  In this beautiful world that the Lord has created for us, there are beautiful places and good opportunities and kind people to have wonderful experiences with everywhere we may go.

What impressed me most though was the next verse: "And they pitched their tents, and began to till the ground, and began to build buildings; yea, they were industrious, and did labor exceedingly" (Mosiah 23:5).  Given their recent history did it make sense to set down stakes, to build buildings and till the land?  Indeed, as the story goes, they didn't get to stay at this land they named Helam permanently anyway.  Why not just pitch tents for awhile and see if this place lasts?  If you have to leave, buildings and homes and tilled fields just make the departure all the harder.  So why do this?  Why plan for permanence when history was not on the side of permanence?

I believe they did this for the same reason that the Saints built Temples and buildings in Kirtland, laid cornerstones and tried to begin building temples in Independence and Far West, built a city out of a swamp and erected a majestic Temple at Nauvoo, and then began planning out a city and a Temple just a day or two after arriving in the Salt Lake Valley.  The Lord expects us to live for and expect success. He expects us to plan for things to work and then faithfully endure, move on, and build anew if they do not.  No matter how long we are called to be in a place, there are people to touch and communities to improve.  Our task is to set down our stakes and begin serving and building, leaving questions of time and permanence to the Lord.  In the process, each of these opportunities leave with us a small body of happy memories and stories of growth.

Brett

4 comments:

  1. You're right -- what an eventful week this has been! While the end of the semester and my first 5K are certainly exciting events, I must agree with you that the most exciting happening came into this world on May 23 at 5:37 a.m. :) I cannot wait to meet little Max in person!!! Oh, and I'm excited to see everyone else too.

    I love that you referred to Mosiah 18 in this post, Brett. In our Beehive activity last week, we worked together on completing a Personal Progress goal for one of our girls who has developmental challenges. The goal we focused on asked us to read Mosiah 18:7-10 and discuss ways we could comfort others and help them bear their burdens.

    The more I've thought about the focus of that particular YW goal, the happier it makes me to think about the process our Beehives went through to complete it.

    Through all the squirrely-ness and activity of 12-13 year old girls, they managed to come up with a very sweet and tender list of examples. It made me smile to see them working so diligently together.

    In Mosiah 18:8-9, we read "[A]nd now, as ye are desirous to come into the fold of God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light; / Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in . . ."

    This is exactly what our girls did last week -- they worked together to help another member of our YW group who could not, for lack of a better phrase, help herself. Truly, they put into action Alma's admonition to "stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in." Now, whenever we recite these words in our YW theme each week, I will have a double-smile. :)

    Even though Alma and his people were soon to be moved from the Waters of Mormon, a place of peace, beauty, fellowship and unity, this chapter contains wise counsel that could go with them wherever they might be. Even if they became separated by geography, they could still stand as witnesses of God at all times. They could still comfort those who needed comfort and bear one another's burdens.

    How thankful I am for the knowledge that we too can do this today. Even though you and I are separated by miles from family and friends, if the need arises, we all manage to come together in prayer and fasting. While we probably wish we could be right there to help out, thankfully we can still help in other ways.

    May the last week of classes, papers and projects go smoothly and swiftly for you, and may your travels home to Utah be the same! Can't wait to see you soon. :)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, how about April 23rd? Guess I wanted to time travel a bit. :) I really do know when our nephew was born!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said Steph! And the funny thing is, I didn't really notice the difference between May 23 and April 23. How sad is that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and I are likely operating on the same wavelength -- exhaustion and end of semster-itis! My ability to type without errors has disappeared -- sad for an English teacher, eh?

    ReplyDelete