Sunday, September 1, 2013

The Things of this World

This wasn't the world's most interesting week in Fort Worth, Texas.  Other than a dentist appointment followed by an annual doctor's appointment, and then the real pain that was watching the BYU game yesterday, there wasn't much of interest that happened this week.  So I guess I am kind of at a loss for knowing just what to say that would be interesting.  But hopefully something will be worthwhile.

My nephew Max, from my sister Lynley's blog
This week as I was perusing some of the offerings on Amazon and in a couple of other places, I was reminded of a comment that Elder Holland made years ago when he was President of Brigham Young University.  He was speaking about the adversary's temptation of the Savior recorded in Matthew 4, and specifically referenced the third and strongest temptation, when, after the Spirit of the Lord had showed the Savior "all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them" (Matt 4:8, with JST change), the adversary came and said unto him, "All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me" (Matt 4:9).

At first reading, and not being in that moment, this temptation seems laughable.  It seems so much more brazen than the others.  Who would possibly give in?  But Elder Holland helped to explain this critical moment.  Elder Holland said of this moment, "Satan makes up for the lack of subtlety here with the grandeur of his offer.  Never mind that these kingdoms are not ultimately his to give.  He simply asks of the great Jehovah, God of heaven and earth, 'What is your price?  Cheap bread you resist.  Tawdry messianic drama you resist, but no man can resist this world's wealth.  Name your price.'"  Elder Holland then explained, "Satan is proceeding under his first article of faithlessness--the unequivocal belief that you can buy anything in this world for money" (Jeffrey R. Holland, "The Inconvenient Messiah," February 15, 1982).

I must confess that that line "you can buy anything in this world for money" struck me as I considered the many offerings on the internet.  In that moment, it seemed like I could find almost anything that I was willing to pay for (and most of it was cheap and useless garbage).  It seemed like anyone and everyone was trying to sell something.  Whatever nick knack you needed, you could find it.  And I certainly already knew that I could find almost any book I needed on Amazon.  But as I thought about all of these products, I was struck with another thought.  In spite of all of these things that could be purchased, there was almost nothing of real, lasting, value for sale.  Even the books would remain mere objects of transitory value unless their contents were learned, internalized, and implemented.  One could spend a fortune and receive nothing in return.

Later that day, I went over to my sister Lynley's blog and saw her lastest pictures of my nephew Max (one of which I downloaded from her blog and posted above).  It cost me nothing other than the price of my monthly internet plan to see these pictures.  But as I looked at them, I couldn't help but smile and feel joy in my heart.  To see a new nephew's happy little face was better and more lasting in value than the grandest library in the world.  I felt the same later that week, when I called my parents for a few minutes and got to say hello to my niece Mauri and my nephew Lincoln.  I felt that same way when I opened my scriptures and learned things that I had either not known or had forgotten.  I felt that same way last week when I was in the Temple.

It may be true that you can buy "anything in this world for money."  But I am entirely convinced that you cannot buy anything of real, eternal value.  Those things are received as gifts in exchange for an open and humble heart, a willingness to love, faith in God, and obedience to His commandments and covenants.  In time, everything else, no matter how fancy or well-crafted, fades away.  But as we treasure and safeguard our relationships with our Father in Heaven and with our family and friends here on earth, and as we enter into and keep the sacred and holy covenants of the Temple, those same relationships and the lessons we learn throughout them will be made eternal, surviving the most difficult challenges this life has to throw at us, and even enduring beyond death.  None of these things can be bought with money.

Brett

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said, Brett. The things which are of the most worth and eternal significance cannot be bought with money. The richest person in the world cannot buy their way into eternity. Unless we also have humility and follow the will of The Lord, our worldly wealth means nothing.

    Thank you for this reminder of what is truly good and great in the eyes of The Lord.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete