![]() |
| Anti-Catholic and Anti-Mormon Political Cartoon, Circa 1880 |
As I've been working on my dissertation, I've been struck by the language and judgments that we often make about others who are different than ourselves. As I've been working on my dissertation, I've come across a number of letters and newspaper articles that made such claims about Mormons during the 1800s.
In 1848, as many of the Saints were starving at Winter Quarters, Colonel Thomas L. Kane a friendly non-Mormon took it upon himself to raise awareness of their plight in the East, hoping to secure funds to ease their suffering. Kane held a meeting in New York City in early March for just such a purpose. Reporting this meeting, the editor of the New York Herald wrote, "These Mormons have cut a great figure during the last few years; but their present destitute condition has sprung from their ignorance and fanaticism. By the practice of common sense, and common decency, they might have continued to live in the Western United States [remember this is 1848] up to the day of judgment. They were, however, led astray by vanity and fanaticism" ("The Mormon Meeting," New York Herald, 4 March 1848). In Brigham Young's correspondence for 1850, I came across a letter from an anonymous citizen of California who wrote that he "did not think the civilized part of the world could produce such a mass of base, disreputable, ignorant, ill-looking, and licentious people" as the Saints. In the political cartoon above, the cartoonist depicted Roman Catholicism and Mormonism as "foreign reptiles" that posed a grave threat to American liberty.
Consider the assumptions and meanness that these kind of statements required. To have blamed the plight of the pioneers at Winter Quarters on themselves is hardly a fair assessment of the circumstances. I'm a historian, and I fully acknowledge the fact that Latter-day Saints have not always been and are not always perfect. Sometimes unwise people made bad situations worse by saying or doing things that ought not to have been said or done. Sometimes we used labels and words that made judgments as unfair about non-Mormons as the ones they made about us. But regardless of this, people were starving and dying at Winter Quarters. Was that really the time to make such a statement?
For the man from California, who clearly had not enjoyed his short time traveling through Utah to California's gold fields, were those words really necessary? Surely whatever may have been said or done did not merit the judgments he cast upon the body of the Saints. And finally for the cartoonist who saw Catholics and Mormons as less than human, as reptiles, could he not see that these people were his brothers and sisters?
Perhaps we don't write such editorials or letters, or publish such cartoons. But how often do we make statements about others that are utterly unfair and ungenerous toward them? How often do we let our hatred or anger or political opinions or whatever else get in the way of our ability to see those who are different from us as our brothers and sisters? I'm afraid that I am guilty of such thoughts far too often. In my arrogance, I forget that other people may be going through great difficulties and may be having experiences that are beyond their control. The things I blame them for may not be entirely their fault. And even if I am right about the wrongness of their behavior or whatever, my being right never entitles me to make the kind of judgments that call into question their divine nature and their humanity. Rather, I have a continued responsibility to love and serve them and to refrain from making unkind and unfair judgments about those who are different.
May we all strive to be a little kinder, a little more patient, a little more loving. For surely, in our own struggles, we wish for others to grant us those same allowances and mercies.
Brett

A beautiful reminder, Brett.
ReplyDeleteI was reading just last week in Mosiah 18 about Alma baptizing people at the Waters of Mormon. The sermon he gave to them seems ideally suited to what you write in your blog today. I especially love the counsel given in verses 21 and 27-28:
"21 And he commanded them that there should be no contention one with another, but that they should look forward with one eye, having one faith and one baptism, having their hearts knit together in unity and in love one towards another."
" 27 And again Alma commanded that the people of the church should impart of their substance, every one according to that which he had; if he have more abundantly he should impart more abundantly; and of him that had but little, but little should be required; and to him that had not should be given.
28 And thus they should impart of their substance of their own free will and good desires towards God . . ."
We may not have much, but we can all give something, even if it is "just" our time and attention. As Elder Scott counseled in the April 2013 General Conference, we should practice learning how to "Recognize the good in others, not their stains."
Be it race, creed, politics, or something else entirely, every person on the earth today is a child of God and is beloved by him. Yes, some of our brothers and sisters are easier/harder to love than others, but it humbles me to think that in the great Council in Heaven, we all chose to follow the Savior's plan -- that's why we're here today. For me, remembering this and working to treat everyone with respect is the place to start.
Thanks for reminding me that there is always something I can do, always a reason to show love and mercy.
Have a happy week! Love you!