![]() |
| President Thomas S. Monson |
As I thought about conference this morning, I was reminded of an event that happened in 1974. President Lee had died just a few months earlier. He had been young and vigorous, a prophet in his 70s and the Church was expecting him to lead for at least a decade (imagine if Elder Holland or President Uchtdorf were the President right now). And then he was gone. Elder Nelson described his feelings as being "shocked and struck with grief" as he "mourned for the loss of this giant in the kingdom." Even five years later and having been filled with a deep conviction that President Kimball as to be the President of the Church, the sudden loss of President Lee seems to have troubled Elder Nelson until it was given to him to understand that "his sudden death in December 1973 was brought about as an act of love and mercy" from the Lord (Russell M. Nelson, From Heart to Heart: The Autobiography of Russell M. Nelson, 159-60).
Into President Lee's place stepped President Spencer W. Kimball, who by that point had already endured serious battles with throat cancer and heart disease. Some members accordingly expected that he would not be around for long and they would need to wait for another, more vigorous and healthy President to move the Lord's Church forward. But God does not work that way. His Kingdom depends more upon willing hearts and faith than upon vigorous and youthful bodies, and President Kimball had the faith and willingness to move mountains.
On April 4, 1974, at a meeting of the Regional Representatives (the precursors to the Area Authority Seventies), President Kimball began urging the Church to lengthen its stride and push the work of the Lord forward in dynamic and faith-filled ways. He called for the expansion of our missionary efforts and for greater levels of worthiness, promising that miracles would attend the Lord's kingdom as we made these efforts. He asked the members of the Church, "Are we prepared to lengthen our stride? To enlarge our vision?" He then said, "Remember, our ally is our God. He is our commander. He made the plans. He gave the commandment" (Spencer W. Kimball, "When the World Will Be Converted," Ensign, October 1974, 4-5).
This was clearly a landmark address. Following his talk, President Ezra Taft Benson, President of the Quorum of the Twelve, arose and said, "President Kimball, our hearts rejoice in this masterful address. I think I can say very safely that no greater address has been given before any seminar--nothing more timely. . . . I am sure we all join in saying God bless you and thank you. Surely there is no doubt, my brethren, after this message this morning that there is in very deed a prophet in Israel" (quoted in Neal A. Maxwell, Ensign, December 1985, 10).
In the midst of questions and worries and doubts, the Lord reminded his people that there was a Prophet in Israel. Any who were filled with doubts and worries quickly saw that the Lord was at the helm and that He was directing His Kingdom through His servants. In one way or another, this story has played out a hundred different times in the history of the Church. Again this weekend as I heard President Monson bear testimony of the Savior and of our call to love God and to love one another, I had that renewed witness that "Surely there is no doubt . . . that there is in very deed a prophet in Israel," for which I thank the Lord.
Brett

I had such an interesting weekend with Conference. Because of timing and such, I actually listened to most of the Saturday morning session on the Mormon Channel app on my iPhone as I walked around the grocery store. It's a good thing I live in the South where people are always praising Jesus and telling you to have a "blessed day," otherwise the occasional audible "Amen" that escaped my lips might have seemed out of place. As it stands, people thought I was probably just praying over the grapes and crackers I put in my buggy. :)
ReplyDeleteI am so grateful for the messages I've heard this weekend and at last weekend's General Women's Meeting. As always, many of them seemed directed right for me. I always try to approach Conference weekend with a prayer in my heart that I will be receptive to the messages I need to hear. This weekend was no different. How grateful I am for the women and men who serve the Lord and His children with such honest dedication and faith and who are receptive to the Spirit as they prepare and deliver His holy word.
I loved this line in your post today: "His Kingdom depends more upon willing hearts and faith than upon vigorous and youthful bodies . . ." It seemed to fit right in with some of the questions I have had of late. While I still consider myself a "youthful person" (age is relative, I say!), it's easy to doubt one's own abilities when you face the challenges of life. Is my best good enough? Do I do things that matter to someone? I think we've all probably asked ourselves these questions at some point or another. This line from your post reminds us that if our hearts and spirits are willing, our best will always be good enough for the Lord. My best may not be the same as your best, or anyone else's best, but if I am sincere and move forward "with real intent, having faith in Christ," I know that the Lord will "manifest the truth" unto me. That is the legacy I wish to leave -- that I have loved the Lord and have done my best.
Have a happy week, luv!