Sunday, March 1, 2015

For All the Saints


Just a quick post today that isn't well though out, but which is sincere.  As I went to Sunday School today, we discussed Matthew 6, and the Savior's warnings to those who fast or pray or do other things to be seen of men.  As we talked about these verses, my mind began to think about the many wonderful Saints I know who are not like that.  I thought of the sister in my ward that I watch sit next to the downs syndrome sister, or push the brother who is in a wheel chair into priesthood meeting.  I thought of the brother in my ward who so freely and generously bestows his praise and love upon all with he comes into contact.  More close to home, I thought of my oldest sister, whom I have watched find a few dollars in her purse for the homeless wherever she meets them, even in the leanest of times bestowing generosity that far exceeds the conscience-salving one dollar bill I generally give.  I thought of my mother who has time and energy to talk, even when it is clear that she is exhausted and could use some rest.  I thought of my father, who has dutifully cleared the neighborhood walks when it snows, no matter how many other things he needed to do that day.  I thought of each of these examples and so many others.

It is certainly true that each of us is at times tempted to put forth a show of virtue that does not match the feelings in our hearts.  There are times when each of us plays the hypocrite, pretending to virtues that we know could use greater and more sincere practice.  But while each of us must beware of these tendencies in our minds and hearts, let us also be grateful "for all the saints" who teach us "a more excellent way" (1 Corinthians 12:31) through their quiet acts of goodness and grace.  Without fanfare or publicity, they invite us to respond to "the better angels of our nature," showing us what it means to be disciples indeed.

If you are reading this blog, there is a high likelihood that you have been this kind of a person for me, and I wanted to say thank you.  Thank you for constantly reminding me that the highest manifestations of faith grow out of hearts that truly love God and truly love His children.  In times when I get too caught up in my own personal goals and aims, your quiet goodness brings me back down to earth and helps me to strive for something higher than myself.

Brett

1 comment:

  1. Your post made my day -- my week, actually!

    Like you noted here, there are so many heroes who might not be important in the world's eyes, but the work they do and the devotion they have is far more lasting and impactful in the long run. Thanks for being one of those people for me. :) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete