Sunday, June 21, 2015

The Best is Yet to Be


This is just a short entry today.  First off, happy father's day to all of the fathers out there, and most especially to my own saintly father.  I've never known a mortal man who sacrifices more of self for those he loves than does my dad.  He is a constant example for me to follow, and I hope one day to be able to be just like him.

This last Thursday, I stopped off at the Draper Temple on my way home from work.  Draper is a good Temple to stop off at because Traverse Mountain Road is right next to it, which is a good alternative to the current nightmare that Point of the Mountain is.  But that is beside the point.  While I was at the Temple and as I left, I kept having a line from Robert Browning's poem "Rabbi Ben Ezra" come to my mind.  That famous poem begins, "Grow old along with me!  The best is yet to be."

The line that stood out to me was "The best is yet to be."  Life has a way at times of knocking us down.  Certain experiences can cause us to believe the falsehood that our best days are behind us, and that the future will never be able to measure up to the past.  But for each and every one of us, this is a lie.  The comforting and eternal truth is that "The best is yet to be."  We have so much to look forward to, so much to hope for, so much to live for!  Ultimately, this is the message of the Holy Temple.  Those beautiful buildings themselves, and, more importantly, the sacred ordinances within them declare to us that "The best is yet to be!"

So that is my simple message today.  The best is yet to be!  So live for it, pray for it, hope for it, and never stop looking forward to it!  Whoever you are, and whatever joys or sorrows the past may have held for you, the best is yet to be for the simple reason that our Heavenly Father gave His perfect Son.  And through His sufferings and atonement, that perfect Son has become our High Priest of Good Things to Come.  And that is the greatest gift that any father has ever bestowed upon any child.

Brett

2 comments:

  1. I have to ally this post with President Monson's admonition to "Find Joy in the Journey!" So often, we can get caught up in the intricacies and frustrations of wanting something now that we forget to enjoy the moment. I have to remind myself that if I can exercise a bit of patience (easier said than done most days!), there is something even greater in store.

    How grateful I am for the wisdom and perspective of our Heavenly Father -- and earthly father too -- which surrounds us with love when we cannot yet see or understand what is to come (D&C 58:3-6).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steph! Like you said, it is really easy to get caught up in frustration and to miss the blessings and joys of the moment.

    ReplyDelete