Sunday, September 6, 2015

We Have to Grow into the Stature of Perfect Men and Women in Christ Jesus

Willard Richards
Hello all who read this!  I hope that you've had a great week!  I capped the week by experimenting again with making BBQ ribs.  Actually my mom did the hard work, as all I did was prepare them in the marinade yesterday and get a dry rub put together for them.  She did the hard work of getting them out of the marinade, putting the rub on, and then doing the cooking until I could get home to put them on the grill for the finishing touches with BBQ sauce.  They turned out well and it was fun to enjoy them with the whole family.  Anyhow, enough about meat.

This week I came across a letter written by Willard Richards in May 1839.  At the time he wrote the letter, Willard was presiding over the Church in England, where he had been laboring as a missionary since 1837.  At the time he had embarked on that mission, he had been a member of the Church for less than a year, having learned the gospel from and been baptized by his cousin, Brigham Young.  The following is a portion of what Willard wrote home to his family:

". . . Before we entered into the New Covenant you doubtless remember that there was some uncertainty or doubt upon our minds.  We felt that it was possible we might be deceived; that we might be wrong while we were re-thinking ourselves right; and we were looking forward with anxiety to the day of our departure and to the Judgment seat; thinking that every day was bringing us nearer and nearer to our destination doubting what it might be.  But is it so now?  I can truly say that I rejoice every day that passes that another day is gone into Eternity, and that I am one day nearer that rest that remaineth for the people of God.  If by the grace of God I shall remain faithful unto the end; (for he only that endureth to the End shall be saved) for I know in whom I have believed and I know that there is no other way given under heaven whereby men can be saved in the presence of God, but through obedience to the Gospel and the whole of the Gospel of Jesus Christ as made known in former and latter days by the revelations of the Most High God.  And I know assuredly that I am contending for the same faith which was once delivered to the Saints, but however feebly I may do it; for we are not yet perfect but we have to GROW into the stature of perfect men and women in Christ Jesus" (Willard Richards to Rhoda, Nancy, and Phinehas Richards, 10 May 1839, Richards Family Papers, MS 1558, box 1, folder 1, CHL).

The thing that stood out to me was the progression that had happened in Willard's life, in the space of just a few years.  I love the fact that Willard had been trepidatious when he was first hearing the gospel.  He was concerned about being deceived; concerned about following the wrong path.  It made me think about how, as a missionary, I used to get frustrated by people who didn't move fast enough or progress fast enough in the Kingdom.  But reading Willard's words, it helped me to see things from the perspective of the investigator or new convert.  As a missionary I didn't realize just how much I was asking them to change--although these changes are vital and important.  The truth is, spiritual progression is a process that requires great faith and often takes some time.  Willard's initial hesitancy did not preclude him from becoming a powerful force in the kingdom.  Within a matter of a few years, he had arrived at a place where his doubts had fled, being replaced by a desire to continue to grow and to remain faithful.

All of us have areas where perhaps we are fearful, and where we wonder how we can possibly exercise the faith needed to grow.  But if there are doubts and questions today, be assured that growth can happen and certainty can come.  That growth and that assurance will come as we exercise greater and greater amounts of faith in our Savior who loves us.  May we all continue our efforts to "grow into the stature of perfect men and women in Christ Jesus."

Brett

2 comments:

  1. Another fabulous post, Brett. Thank you for always offering me something thought-provoking to consider during the chaos of a busy school-week.

    I especially loved this line from Brother Richard's letter to his family: "And I know assuredly that I am contending for the same faith which was once delivered to the Saints, but however feebly I may do it; for we are not yet perfect but we have to GROW into the stature of perfect men and women in Christ Jesus." There is such promise in these words . . . a reminder that we each need to grow and progress line upon line, not ALL at once.

    Some might have a perfect faith in/testimony of one Gospel concept, while others have a perfect faith in/testimony of another. Together, we can lift each other and help grow each other's testimonies until we, too, have a perfect faith.

    Have a happy week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steph! I love the opportunity to grow in the gospel. And I love the fact that the Savior allows us the time and liberty to grow!

    ReplyDelete