Sunday, February 21, 2016

When One Door Closes Another Opens


It's been a busy week!  I spent most of the week preparing a presentation for a job interview.  Then on Wednesday I had an all-day job interview (results pending).  Work has been extra busy, but it's a good busy, as I find myself getting to spend time on more and more time on documents that are new and exciting.  I genuinely love what I do.  Getting up at 5:15 every morning isn't easy for me, but I find that I absolutely love each day that I get to spend at work.

Perhaps best of all, most days I get to spend time with the beautiful Ashley Camargo.  I find myself smiling and happy whenever I'm around her--except for the times when I'm preoccupied with other concerns or am nervous and she lovingly puts up with me!  She loves the Lord and she is constantly helping me to become a better person.  So it is a true blessing to be with her!

About a year ago I wrote a post about the opening and closing of doors, where I drew upon President Howard W. Hunter's fantastic talk "The Opening and Closing of Doors".  At the time, I was beginning to see the possibilities of a few doors opening after a year that had seemed to be filled with nothing but closed doors and closed opportunities.  I reflected on a phrase in President Hunter's talk where he said, "Doors close regularly in our lives, and some of those closings cause genuine pain and heartache.  But I do believe that where one such door closes, another opens (and perhaps more than one), with hope and blessings in other areas of our lives that we might not have discovered otherwise."

Looking back, not all of the doors that I was referring to actually proved to be ajar or even unlocked.  And yet, at the time, it was enough just for me to believe in the possibility of other open doors.  Nearly a year later, as I survey the past several months, I can see just how true President Hunter's promise was.  There were indeed open doors, but they were a little further down the hallway.  I just had to keep believing, keep walking, and keep trying.

I trust that the future will yield new closed doors and that those closings will cause some "genuine pain and heartache."  But along with the surety of that fact, I now know with a surety that along with those closed doors, the future will also offer additional corridors, unexpected blessings of incalculable worth, and opportunities that far exceed my own plans and designs.  All I must do is keep believing, keep walking, and keep trying.  Doors will open for me as I do these things.  And doors will open for you as you do these things.

Brett

1 comment:

  1. Perspective is a beautiful thing, isn't it? I find myself struggling a lot with this very thing, unable to see with my mortal eyes the open doors and windows that are all around me. How grateful I am for the Lord's unfailing patience and love which surround me at times like these. Sometimes it's that "mustard seed" that keeps us moving forward, trusting, even in the tiniest of ways, that joy really will come in the morning.

    I'm so thrilled that you have been presented with these amazing open doors in your life's journey and I'm praying for many more to appear in your way.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete