Well, ready or not, my new semester is now in full gear, with the second week of classes come and gone. It is one of the most bizarre and multicultural semesters of my life. I have seminars on the American Civil War, Modern Chinese History, and Afro-Latin American History, none of which seem to overlap in the least degree. And since they are all readings seminars, it appears that my semester will be comprised of somewhere around 900 to 1000 pages of reading per week, with 6-9 pages of writing to accompany 9 hours worth of class time in which to be grilled over the content, meaning, and inherent flaws within those 900 pages. At moments like this, it's hard not to take a step back and ask myself "What were you thinking?" Following such moments of introspection, I can't help but remember the line spoken by the snake in an oft told story, "You knew what I was when you picked me up."
But I'm learning that these moments of introspection can take two very different paths. I can choose (as I often do) to lock up and give way to complete discouragement about the week at hand (and if it is a really bad day, about the whole semester), or I can choose to turn the page and keep reading.
I think that all of us will agree that life holds more than its fair share of unfair moments, difficult challenges that are part of our mortal experience and which are beyond our control. Classes require too much reading; work requires too many long hours and is handicapped by too many politics; we are asked to experience the challenges posed by sickness, fatigue, and occasionally even death; and through it all we are asked to put a smile on our face when we don't feel like smiling, to love, and serve, and uplift others who are experiencing challenges even more painful than we are experiencing.
In the process, I think that all of us reach points where we just want to throw our hands up into the air and surrender to the challenges that are perplexing us. In such moments, I believe that we can take comfort in two eternal facts. First, as sons and daughters of God, we have been endowed with the power to act. Because of that relationship and that divine gift within us, we maintain the ultimate sovereignty over our attitudes and feelings, even though everything else in our lives seems to be beyond our control. Second, I believe that in the end we will discover that it was these moments that ultimately defined our lives because they compelled us to seek for God's help.
In July 1865, shortly after the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, Noah Brooks recalled an experience in which Lincoln told him the following: "I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go. My own wisdom and that of all about me seemed insufficient for that day." (Don E. Fehrenbacher and Virginia Fehrenbacher, Recollected Words of Abraham Lincoln, 50). While this statement may be apocryphal, the sentiment expressed by it is everlastingly true. The Lord gives us challenging experiences and difficult circumstances to deal with, at least in part, because they serve to draw us to Him and help us to use this divine gift of agency to seek out His help, thus cementing our relationship to Him.
Brett
I just happened to be listening to a devotional address by Neal A. Maxwell as I read your blog post this morning. In this 1974 address, "But for a Small Moment" (http://speeches.byu.edu/reader/reader.php?id=6066), Elder Maxwell talks about the nature of the many mortal challenges we face and the great blessings that are sometimes overshadowed by them.
ReplyDeleteIn particular, the following words from Elder Maxwell's address grabbed my attention: "God loves us and, loving us, has placed us here to cope with challenges which he will place before us. I'm not sure we can always understand the implications of his love, because his love will call us at times to do things we may wonder about, and we may be confronted with circumstances we would rather not face. I believe with all my heart that because God loves us there are some particularized challenges that he will deliver to each of us. He will customize the curriculum for each of us in order to teach us the things we most need to know. He will set before us in life what we need, not always what we like."
That statement really hit home because I’ve felt – still feel, even – this way so many times. In my heart, I know there's a lesson in the trials I face, but the learning process hurts and I don't understand it, leaving me to question what's happening and why I need to go through this particular trial in the first place. At times like this, when nothing else makes sense, I try to remember one word: PERSPECTIVE.
Years ago, I had a Bishop tell me that being human and facing mortality was a lot like trying to find our way through a dark forest. The trees are thick and we can only see so far ahead of us, maybe a few steps at a time. However, my Bishop remarked, we are not lost in this forest alone. The Lord has an eternal perspective. He is in the heavens above, watching over us, and He can and will direct us on a safe path through that “forest,” towards our goals.
These thoughts are echoed in Elder Maxwell’s devotional: “God knows even now what the future holds for each of us. . . . He knows what it is he wishes to bring to pass in your life. He knows the kind of remodeling in your life and in mine that he wishes to achieve. Now, this will require us to believe in that divine design and at times to accept the truth which came to Joseph Smith wherein he was reminded that his suffering would be "but a small moment" (D&C 121:7).”
I know the paths we’re on aren’t always (or even often!) easy and we frequently feel like that “small moment” is an eternity, but I truly believe that if we can hold on to even a small grain of faith, we can remember that the Lord’s perspective is eternal and guided by love, that He will never leave us alone. The Savior has promised that if we do our part, He “will not leave [us] comfortless” (John 14:18), and if He is with us, then who can be against us?
I always draw such strength and comfort from your words in this blog, Brett. Thank you for reminding us that challenges can bring us closer to the Lord, Brett.
I loved what you had to say here Brett! Thanks for your great insights. You are doing great!! Hang in there and know that we are praying for you and we all know YOU CAN DO IT!! You are awesome!
ReplyDelete