Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Power of the Word

This afternoon I am writing with a splitting headache, and so my thoughts are somewhat scattered and limited.  But I wanted to write a few small thoughts that I've been considering this past week, and hope that they will be of some sort of value.

Recently I have been reflecting upon the blessing that it is to have the scriptures and the words of God.  This will come as no surprise to those of you who know me best, but I find a great amount of joy in books--perhaps too much joy in them.  But even as a devoted book lover, I find myself overwhelmed at times by what one of my professors termed the "Bataan Death March" of books and book reviews that graduate school can become.  So much so, that I occasionally have a hard time even looking at a book for a few weeks after each semester, with one exception:  the scriptures.

It seems odd, but I often find that my greatest and most relieving escape from graduate school and its relentless schedule of reading and study is found within the pages and words of the Holy Scriptures.  At least one of the reasons that I find so much joy within their pages is because the scriptures seem more like old familiar friends to be reunited with than texts to be studied and dissected at high speeds.  More and more, I find myself understanding President Hinckley's eloquent words, when he said: "I love our scriptures.  I love these wonderful volumes, which set forth the word of the Lord for the guidance of our Father's sons and daughters.  I love to read the scriptures, and I try to do so consistently and repeatedly.  I love to quote from them, for they give the voice of authority to that which I say.  I do not claim distinction as a scholar of the scriptures.  For me, the reading of the scriptures is not the pursuit of scholarship.  Rather, it is a love affair with the word of the Lord and that of his prophets."

Within the scriptures, I find hope, encouragement, and inspiration that I do not find in any of the other books within my growing collection.  I'm grateful for the wonderful gift of the scriptures.

Brett

2 comments:

  1. I always love your insights! I hope you feel better soon! We love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your insights too, Brett! What a powerful metaphor you use here -- scriptures vs. school books. There is a great difference indeed. Some of them we can't wait to blaze though and be done with; others, we love to ponder and revisit, time and again. All too often, I think we get this the wrong way 'round and spend more time pondering "other texts" instead of the scriptures and words of the prophets. . . at least I know I sometimes do. Thank you for the gentle reminder that there is much to cherish in the scriptures. Indeed, they can give us lasting comfort, not just momentary distractions.

    I hope you'll feel better soon -- headaches and grad school do seem to go together, don't they?

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete