Sunday, November 18, 2012

"Oh There's No Place Like Home for the Holidays"

Nana and Papa Haycock's 50th Wedding Anniversary, the Lion House
I'm hoping that the members of my family who see this picture will not be upset with me for posting such an excellent example of why the 1980s were amazing.  But it was the only picture I could really think of to exemplify what Thanksgiving has meant to me in my life.

I think I'm at that point in the semester where my brain its an automatic shutoff point and refuses to think of anything unless it is absolutely forced to do so.  Hence, when I got home from Church today I could not think of anything interesting to write about other than to wish everyone a very happy Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving has been one of my favorite holidays ever since I was a little boy.  Of course it helps that turkey is one of my favorite meals and, like Presidents Brigham Young and Joseph Fielding Smith, I absolutely love eating pie.  But more than anything, Thanksgiving has always signified family to me.  When I was a young boy, we would go up to Bountiful and spend the day at my Nana and Papa's House.  It was always a wonderful day of being with my family and having a chance to reflect on just how much the Lord has given me (though I probably didn't do too good a job of that when I was a kid).

Thanksgiving has taken on a greater meaning to me since I moved to Texas.  Last year I was so blessed to be able to spend the day with my sister Stephanie and my brother-in-law John in Georgia.  They were so kind a gracious to me and showed me all around Georgia in the process.  It was one of my favorite Thanksgivings because I had been so lonely for family and they made that trip so wonderful for me.  This Thanksgiving, I get to go back home and spend the time with my family and with Julianne!  I am so excited for Tuesday!  Even a 6 am flight is enjoyable because it means that I get to be home for just a few more hours by taking an early flight!  There truly is "no place like home for the holidays."

This Thanksgiving, I am thankful for:
1) The Gospel of Jesus Christ and my Father's plan for our salvation.
2) A family that has always been there for me, including two wonderful parents and three remarkable and beautiful sisters, as trustworthy and faithful a brother as anyone could ask for, a beautiful niece and a handsome nephew, marvelous cousins, aunts, and uncles, and many loved ones beyond the veil who continue to bless my life in profound ways!
3) My beautiful Julianne, who makes me happy in so many different ways.
4) A number of faithful friends, mentors, and neighbors who have taught and blessed me in ways too numerous to list.
5) The blessing of an education and the opportunity to pursue three college degrees.  It is a blessing that I am certain I take far too much for granted.
6) A warm apartment, clothes to wear, and food to eat.  I know that there are so many who have so much less than this.
7) Moments of pure joy, like feeding ducks at the duck pond with Julianne.
8) So many other things that I wish I had time to list.

To all of you who have blessed my life so profoundly, may you please accept my most profound and heart-felt thanks.

Brett

PS:  Check out my awesome white pants and skewed tie!

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome post, Brett. Like you, my brain is on automatic shut-off. I'm at what Sue and I used to call the "Scarlett O'Hara" point of the semester where "I'll think about that tomorrow." Of course, I'm fast approaching (or perhaps have already hit) the "Rhett Butler" point in my semester where "frankly, my dear, I don't give a . . . "

    John and I were just reminiscing about this time last year and how much fun it was to have you out for a visit. :) It will be strange not to have you visiting us for Thanksgiving this year, but I'm so glad you get a chance to go home and visit with family and friends this week. Hooray!!

    Despite all of the many trials and frustrations that we face, we really do have A LOT to be thankful for. I've enjoyed reading LJ's blog this month and your entry here fits right in line with those wonderful reminders that God is good and we are blessed. Thanks!!

    Have a marvelous visit at home -- eat some pie for me and give everyone a big hug. :) Can't wait to see you all at Christmas!

    P.S. The white pants and awesome striped tie are great, but I'm personally a fan of my "claw bangs" and the Jessica McClintock dress, complete with a lace collar, that I'm wearing. Thank goodness I've moved past that fashion-wise. :)

    ReplyDelete