![]() |
| President and Sister Bawden |
Yesterday while I was at the Church History Library in Salt Lake, I learned of the death of my Mission President, President William D. Bawden. I was taken by surprise because he has always been such a pillar of strength to me. He was a friend, a confidant, a wise counselor, and an example of righteousness in my life, and I will miss him dearly.
Every now and again we come across someone who blesses our life for eternity; who shows us the way of the Master not by lofty speeches or high-sounding sermons, but by love, meekness, gentleness, and godliness. President Bawden was one of those men. I don't remember many of the things he said, but I will never forget the way that he made me feel.
When I first arrived in Arkansas, I was lonely and scared. All during my growing up years, I had been labeled as "shy," and I didn't know how I would possibly be able to fulfill my calling as a missionary. President Bawden believed in me, encouraged me, and taught me that I had something to share.
I will never forget the first day that I met him. Two things stand out about that day. Back in those days, you could go to the gate to wait for those who were arriving and so President and the Assistants to the President were there to greet us (the arriving missionaries) at the gate. As we walked through the airport, I remember President Bawden telling us how much we would love the people of Arkansas, that we would learn so much from their love of the Savior. That statement was so very true, and has never left me. I knew right then that I had a Mission President who loved the people and who could see their goodness even as baptismal numbers were relatively low. The second thing that impressed me was our first interview, later that day. I was self-conscious about my Spanish and I assumed that if there were Spanish elders in Arkansas, then my Mission President must also speak Spanish. As he greeted me for our interview, he asked me to offer a prayer. Still thinking that he spoke Spanish, I asked if he wanted me to offer it in Spanish--assuming that he would want to see just how much this young elder had picked up in the MTC. President Bawden chuckled and said that he would like to know what I was saying and so he requested that I pray in English. It wasn't embarrassing or humiliating, just good light-hearted humor that set a young self-conscious elder at ease in this new and frightening situation.
I don't have the words available to pay a proper tribute to President Bawden, but I pray that my life will be constantly guided by the principles he taught me and the kindness and love he demonstrated to me. My life will be forever blessed by my association with William D. Bawden, Jr.
Brett

This is so beautiful. A fitting tribute to a man who influenced thousands and, through those thousands, perhaps millions more.
ReplyDeletePresident Bawden helped me prepare for a mission when I was a self-indulgent 19-year-old with a weak testimony. He saw potential in me when many people did not. I saw him just a few months ago and he was as kind and good-humored as ever.
As much as I will miss him, I know that I will see him again one day and what a great reunion that will be.
-Zack M.
I'm teaching early morning Seminary this year. I am currently preparing the lesson for Acts chapter one. I imagine the sadness and trepidation of those Galilean fisherman as their leader/example/confidant/friend ascended into heaven, leaving them to carry on in his stead. President Bawden's passing gives me some insight, however small, into how these men must have felt.
ReplyDeleteI will miss his wisdom, his insight, and his Christlike love for those around him, but I know that I will laugh and converse with him again. His life was marked with service like the lives of all covenant disciples of Christ. I have no doubt that he was prepared to meet his Savior. Truly a remarkable man.
Dan
Thank you both for adding your feelings about President Bawden! It is astounding how many lives one man can touch for good!
ReplyDeleteI've always been impressed with your stories of President Bawden's love and kindness, Brett. I know how much you will miss him as a friend and confidante. My thoughts and prayers are with you and all those who are missing him right now.
ReplyDelete