Sunday, February 10, 2013

Enjoy more fully the sunlight!

John C. Hafen, "Girl Among the Hollyhocks," LDS Church History Museum


I can honestly say that this has been one of the least memorable weeks I can think of.  To be honest, other than knowing that I went to my classes, read a book about Mexican consumer culture, and talked with Julianne each night, I'm not entirely sure what happened this week.  Sometimes that is a good thing though!  It is always a tell-tale sign that the semester is in full swing when the gap between Sundays begins shrinking.  Weeks come and go and you are certain that you participated, but you just aren't sure how.

One thing that I do remember from this week, however, is a profound lesson that I picked up in my scripture study.  I have been in Mosiah 14 (Isaiah 53), one of the great chapters on the Savior's atonement.  I never cease to be impressed by the power of Isaiah's description of the atonement in the words: "Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.  But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities; and the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed" (Mosiah 14:4-5).  Isaiah's juxtaposition of pronouns referring to us and to Him is powerful and leaves most readers in amazement at what the Savior did for us and just how unfair the whole procedure actually was.  It struck me that way, as I considered my many sins and imperfections, and the fact that "the chastisement of my peace was upon Him."

But I noticed something in this reading that I hadn't seen before as I read, "He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth; he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb so he opened not his mouth" (Mosiah 14:7).  It struck me how remarkable this all was.  I have a hard time not complaining at even the slightest pain, not to mention injustice.  But in the midst of the greatest injustice of all eternity--the One Being who was wholly pure paying the price of humanity's long litany of sins--He didn't complain.  More than that, Isaiah informs us, "Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him....He shall see the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied" (Mosiah 14:10-11).  The Savior not only didn't complain about his pains and struggles, He rejoiced in them and found satisfaction that by this act He would "justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities" (Mosiah 14:11).

Thinking about all of this, I couldn't help but think about my blog entries and my life in general.  I have a tendency to complain, to focus on things which are unhappy or frustrating, when the reality is that I am so very blessed.  I was reminded of President Hinckley's counsel: "I come this morning with a plea that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight.  I am suggesting that we 'accentuate the positive.'  I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment virtue and effort....What I am suggesting and asking is that we turn from the negativism that so permeates our society and look for the remarkable good in the land and times in which we live, that we speak of one another's virtues more than we speak of one another's faults, that optimism replace pessimism, that our faith exceed our fears" (Gordon B. Hinckley, BYU Devotional, 29 October 1974).

In that spirit, may I just say how truly blessed I am.  I have the most wonderful family that I could possibly ask for.  They have been as supportive and encouraging as anyone could ever ask a family to be, and they are constantly there whenever I need them.  I have a beautiful and thoughtful girlfriend who shows me so much of life's beauty and also of its kindness.  Every night I am blessed to be able to talk with her.  I have so many wonderful friends who bless my life in different ways.  And I am blessed with opportunities that I know others only dream about.  Most of all, I have been blessed with a testimony and witness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and with a knowledge of His redeeming love and grace.  Recognizing all of these things, it is so much more easy to enjoy the sunlight!

Brett

1 comment:

  1. I think that almost every time I've read those scriptures from Mosiah, I've focused on the comforting aspects of what the Savior's sacrifice means to me. Not that this is a bad thing, but when I consider that this might be the "only" way I've regarded this message, perhaps in some ways I've also been a little selfish.

    I really appreciate how your blog post this week encourages me to stop focusing on the storms of life, those moments when I'm scared and in need of comfort and calm, and instead to actively seek out the positive experiences that are all around me.

    Surely, as the quotation from President Hinckley reminds us, there is sunlight all around us, but if we choose to focus on the cloudy storms, how can sunlight ever hope to break through?

    Thank you for the tender reminder to consider what is good. Remembering to count my many blessings, one-by-one, will help make gray skies blue and dark days light.

    Love you!

    P.S. Love the picture -- that is a happy spot of sunlight for sure!

    ReplyDelete