![]() |
| Record of the Twelve Apostles, 14 and 27 February 1835 Joseph Smith Papers Project |
This set me to thinking about journals, records, and record keeping and just how important they are to us. I was reminded of a quotation by the Prophet Joseph Smith about record keeping, which when I found it, proved to be even more valuable than I had previously realized.
On February 14, 1835, the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles was officially organized for the first time in this dispensation. Prior to that time, Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery had held the office of Apostle, and there was a First Presidency over the Church, but no Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Because the Quorum of the Twelve hold the keys of the Kingdom and are necessary to the reorganization of the First Presidency upon the death of the President, this was an extremely important event in the history of the Church. Some two weeks later, Joseph Smith called the Twelve together to give them some instructions. He said:
"I have something to lay before this council, an item which they will find to be of great importance to them. I have for myself learned--a fact by experience which on reflection gives me deep sorrow. It is a truth that if I now had in my possession every decision which has been given upon important items of doctrine and duties since the rise of this church, they would be of incalculable worth to the saints, but we have neglected to keep records of such things, thinking that perhaps they would never benefit us afterwards, which had we now, would decide almost any point that might be agitated; and now we cannot bear record to the church nor unto the world of the great and glorious manifestations that have been made to us with that degree of power and authority which we otherwise could if we had those decisions to publish abroad. Since the twelve are now chosen, I wish to tell them a course which they may pursue and be benefitted hereafter in a point of light of which they, perhaps, are not now aware. At all times when you assemble in the capacity of a council to transact business let the oldest of your number preside, and let one or more be appointed to keep a record of your proceedings and on the decision of every important item, be it what it may, let such decision be noted down, and they will ever after remain upon record as law, covenant and doctrine. Questions thus decided might at the time appear unimportant, but should they be recorded and one of you lay hands upon them afterward you might find them of infinite worth not only to your brethren but a feast also to your own souls" (Joseph Smith, February 27, 1835, Record of the Twelve Apostles, Joseph Smith Papers Project).
Of all of the things that Joseph could have taught the Twelve during their first full meeting as a Quorum, he taught them to keep a record, promising them that as they did so, they would be blessed to find revelation, insight, and the power to testify boldly within those pages. I believe that this principle applies not only to those called to the Quorum of the Twelve, but to each Latter-day Saint. This week I came across a diary that gave me some important insights into my ancestor, William Franklin Dowdle (known in parts of Idaho as "Dowdle Bill"). Those insights were probably not what most would consider spiritual, but they gave me a better understanding of my family and tied me more closely to my ancestors. As I read those entries, I felt a bond develop which I had not felt before. The mere fact that I could learn more about my third great grandfather was a blessing and even a kind of spiritual experience.
There is a kind of power that comes as we read the diaries, letters, or other records that contain information about our ancestors. I am perhaps not the best about finding the names, dates, and other things necessary to take names to the Temple. I need to work on that and find ways to provide the Temple ordinances to my kindred dead. But I have been greatly blessed by being able to learn about the details of the lives of my ancestors. I have seen evidence of revelation and inspiration in their lives. I have seen some fall short, only to witness the power of the Atonement in healing those affected by those mistakes. I have seen others serve faithfully and leave legacies of faith and devotion. In each case I have been inspired and enlarged. With each ancestor, I have felt my understanding of my own life grow.
I suspect that I am not alone in the feeling that I would give anything to have in my possession diaries and records from each of my ancestors. If we feel this way, so will our children, our grandchildren, and so on down the line. Even as we search out our kindred dead, let us leave a record of our faith and lives for those who will come after us. Some day our testimonies recorded and our experiences that we have detailed will bless a descendent in a time of crisis or in a moment where he or she needs an added measure of faith. May we leave for them a record that may touch their hearts and build their faith in just such moments! And may we leave an honest record also. Our descendants will need to know about our struggles and challenges and even some of our imperfections, almost as much as they will need to know about our faith. Such things give them hope when they struggle and help them to gain faith in the power of Christ's atonement when they are less than perfect!
Brett

Thank you Brett for all of your posts. I appreciate them more than you know. I have just recently started to record the "imperfections" in my journaling and not just all the "good" stuff. It was hard but I knew it was important. I agree about the diaries and journals. My Grandpa McEuen's personal history that I helped my Dad compile is one of my greatest treasures. I love reading about all of my ancestors and drawing strength from them.
ReplyDeleteSherri, thanks so much for your kind comments. What a blessing that must have been to be able to help compile that history of your Grandpa McEuen! I am perpetually finding myself in projects like that. The only danger is that they are much more exciting to me than reading about revolutions and communists in Central and South America, so I have to try and restrict myself to Sundays for the present. :) But I've found that in being away from home, doing a few things like this helps me to feel like I have family close by, which in reality is true. I think I've felt the presence of my Grandma and Grandpa Dowdle as well as Nana and Papa's presence as strongly as I ever have in my life while I've been in Texas on my own. They have been a blessing in more ways than I can say.
ReplyDeleteYou never fail to inspire me, Brett. This time, it's to be more involved -- anxiously engaged? -- in family history work. Like you, I also love the stories about our family members -- they help me feel a closeness to ancestors that I'm sure I know, but don't remember meeting. Yes, even good ol' "Dowdle Bill" fits into this group. :)
ReplyDeleteI only hope that what I leave behind in this world -- memories and tangible "stuff" alike -- will be able to inspire someone the way things from our ancestors have inspired me. I guess that is a great goal -- to live a life worthy of being remembered.
Sorry my response this week is so brief -- I'm up to my ears in grading, with more on the horizon. Yuck! Good luck with the last weeks of the semester, luv! Can't wait to see you soon.
Thanks Steph! That is a great goal to aspire to! Good luck with the grading! Yuck, yuck, and yuck!
DeleteLove your insights Brett! I think my favorite story is of Great Grandma McClellan, when she prayed and then set the table, knowing that there was no food in the house, but trusting the Lord to provide if she went to work and did her part. I've often used that as a reminder in my own life, to "set the table" and act in faith, trusting that the Lord would have my best interest at heart.
ReplyDeleteI'd love to learn more about Dowdle Bill. Sadly, I didn't even know he existed.
Thanks Jen! I love that story of Great Grandma! I'll fill you in on Dowdle Bill when I get a chance! :)
Delete