![]() |
| 1835 manuscript of Abraham 1:1-5, Handwriting of W. W. Phelps, Joseph Smith Papers Website |
Earlier this week I had an interesting conversation with a friend about meaningful accomplishments and fulfillment that has made me think about the topic quite a bit. This friend is incredibly accomplished and is looked up to by just about everyone who knows them. But in examining another friend's equally impressive life, this friend felt like they ought to do more and be more. I couldn't help but feel like I knew exactly what my friend was saying. Every now and again I look at the lives and accomplishments and families of my friends and think to myself: "I should be more like that person."
Such moments catch us in a paradoxical situation. On the one hand, the ability to see the good in others and then to desire to improve and grow in our own lives is a godly attribute. Do we not constantly look to the life of the Savior and His prophets for examples that we might improve and grow and have examples to follow? I believe that each of us, like Abraham, lives in some awareness of the fact that "there [is] greater happiness and peace and rest for [us]" and each of us is filled with a desire "to be one who [possesses] great knowledge, and to be a greater follower of righteousness" (Abraham 1:2). Improvement, growth, and progression are the very reasons that the Lord sent us here to this earth. The Lord expects us to see that "there [is] greater happiness and peace and rest" and then do what is necessary to receive that. Abraham found that greater happiness, peace, and rest through seeking "the blessings of the fathers" and developing a deeper level of personal discipleship. Such is the case for us as well, as greater obedience helps us to grow closer to the Lord.
On the other hand Elder Holland was spot on when he said, "We can be so hard on ourselves, often much more so than with others!" Even as we recognize the great distance ahead of us in our progression to heaven, I believe it is important that we take small moments and recognize how far we have come, always acknowledging that we "have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken faith in him, relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save" (2 Nephi 31:19). If there is a long road ahead of us, it will help us to remember that there is also a long road behind us, full of the same bumps, challenges, and trials that we will have to overcome in the future. We have "overcome by faith" (D&C 76:53) in the past, and we will do so in the future.
Often many of those whose lives we look at with wonder and amazement (and in my case, at times with a little envy) view us with that very same wonder and amazement. Even more importantly, I feel assured that our Father in Heaven looks upon us with a parental kind of pride (the good kind President Uchtdorf spoke of a few years ago), pleased with our individual and collective efforts to return to His divine presence. As Elder Holland once said, "I testify that no one of us is less treasured or cherished of God than another. I testify that He loves each of us--insecurities, anxieties, self-image, and all. He doesn't measure our talents or our looks; He doesn't measure our professions or our possessions. He cheers on every runner, calling out that the race is against sin, not against each other. I know that if we will be faithful, there is a perfectly tailored robe of righteousness ready and waiting for everyone, 'robes...made...white in the blood of the Lamb.'"
May we yield to the divine impulses for growth and improvement, even while we see the growth and accomplishment that we have arrived at, and recognize the great challenges that we have overcome with faith. In so doing, we will find greater happiness, peace, and rest as we are "encircled about eternally in the arms of [God's perfect] love" (2 Nephi 1:15; see also Alma 34:16 and D&C 6:20). At that great day, I fully expect each of us to hear the words "Well done, thou good and faithful servant...enter thou into the joy of thy Lord" (Matthew 25:23) along with our family and friends whose lives and works so inspired us in this life.
Brett
Brett

This post really spoke to my heart today, Brett. I've been having a lot of internal conversations with myself lately about this very topic of envying/desiring what others have. My internal self can be a pretty rough critic and, if I'm not careful, can speak loudly enough to drown out the quiet whisperings of the Spirit, leaving me feeling pretty lonely and unhappy.
ReplyDeleteIt's so very easy to become mired down in what I want and think I need - that "golden ticket" President Uchtdorf spoke about a couple of years ago. How often, though, is this what The Lord has in store for me? I need to remind myself that while I might think I know what is right, I am operating from a mortal perspective. The Lord operates on a lerfect, eternal perspective. He knows what is best, but He loves me enough to let me exercise my agency and make my own decisions - right or wrong.
The blessing here is that even when I do mess up or get stuck in a pattern of "woe is me," He is always there, ready and willing to help lift me out of the muck.
I love President Uchtdorf's reminders to be happy now and to be kind to ourselves. This doesn't mean, he tells us, that we should ever give up hoping or having entries desires, but we should trust in The Lord who knows all things that we will receive tall promised blessings in His time.
I am so grateful for the tenet mercies which remind me He is there and washing over me. How blessed and humble this makes me feel!
Can't wait to see you all next week! Safe travels home, luv! :)
Sorry for my typos. :) Once classes are over, my ability to spell correctly sort of goes out the window. Pretty sad for an English teacher, eh?
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comments Steph! I think all of us ask ourselves these questions from time to time and we need to be a little easier on ourselves. :) As for your spelling errors, I know the feeling. I think poor student grammar rubs off on us toward the end of the semester. We can't help it! Oh well, it could be worse. We could be like a student whose exam a friend graded who wrote that the Korean War was a war between the United States and the Soviet Union with the Soviets supporting South Korea and the U.S. supporting the North. Sad...
ReplyDeleteWait . . . You mean that's not how the Korean War went?
ReplyDeleteYou are one of those people Brett that I feel I need to be more like. I am always so grateful that you share your thoughts, feelings and immense knowledge in this blog. It helps me want to be better. You are one those people that I "envy" as you said. Your knowledge of and time spent in the scriptures amazes me and reminds me how much I could improve. Stephanie, I'm grateful for your comments too. I spent just today envying the other people in my ward whose children behave in Sacrament Meeting and don't get taken out screaming multiple times each week. I kept comparing myself and my children to them. I knew I shouldn't but I did. I appreciate the thoughts that the Lord lets us choose what to do and think but is always there when we're ready to climb out of the pit so to speak. I'm so glad to be related to such great thinking wonderful people. I hope to get to see you all of the Dowdles when you are together again soon. Love to you all!
ReplyDeleteThanks Sherri! I definitely look up to you and your wonderful family! You and Tom have done an amazing job with your kids, even if a couple of them still need to make trips out into the hall during Sacrament meeting. :)
ReplyDelete